Event Director Best Practices
As Event Directors, we can follow these steps in making sure we are putting on sustainable events.
• Permits and required permissions are in order well before event.
• Institutions, residents and other user groups are notified in advance of event.
• Course design minimizes impact on traffic and other user groups.
• Provide adequate parking.
• Provide adequate restroom facilities (1/50 participants).
• Support institutions affected by your event.
• Provide a clearly marked, well-staffed course (lead & follow + 1 aid station for every 2.5 miles
not applicable for most bike events).
• Create an Emergency Action Plan.
• Your use of a location is a privilege, not a right. Be a courteous guest.
• Be mindful of rules and regulation surrounding alcohol at your location.
• Leave a facility better than you found it.
• Reduce waste
o Encourage carpool, biking, public transport, etc.
o Use on-line registration
o Eliminate/reduce race bags
o Purchase recyclable/compostable items
o Provide adequate waste/recycle opportunities
o Don’t provide garbage!
• Love your volunteers